Code of Conduct
Site administration reserves the right to suspend or remove users that do not behave in a civil manner. Specific guidelines are being further developed and will be placed here as the site develops.
Users who post inappropriate content will be suspended after a warning. Repeat offenders will be permanently banned.
- Advertisements of any kind without the express written permission of site administration are PROHIBITED. Please ask permission before posting anything of a commercial nature
- Bots are allowed only if they do not clutter the timeline or engage with other users without their permission. Please contact site administration before using bots to be sure they are appropriate!
- Content that is considered obscene, libelous, hate speech or otherwise unlawful under Canadian law will be removed immediately and the user who posted it banned without warning
- Personal attacks, derogatory remarks or discriminatory behaviour towards others based on ANY personal characteristics will not be tolerated!
- Accounts that mislead or misrepresent the true identity of a user will be banned immediately (no fake celebrities allowed unless the profile explicitly states it is fake!)
- Harassment, bullying or otherwise inciting hatred against others is prohibited
- Users are responsible for vetting articles/links they post or share. Users who deliberately and repeatedly post "fake news" without stating it is as such will be suspended or banned.
The Mastodon platform offers a "content warning" feature that obscures post content until a user explicitly opens it. This allows for sensitive information or potentially offensive or distressing content to be hidden from those who do not wish to see it. The following should be placed within content warnings:
- Any level of violence, nudity or sexual content that would be deemed higher than a "PG" rating
- Anything that would be considered a "spoiler" when discussing popular movies, television shows, sporting events or current events
- Sensitive topics which may incite excessively heated arguments. Keep in mind that healthy lively discussion is encouraged and users are NOT expected to conceal everything that might be the slightest bit disagreeable!
Users of this instance are encouraged to use self moderation to silence and block at a user level. However as the federated Web grows where may be clear cases where an entire instance is clearly engaging in questionable behaviour. Instance level silencing and suspensions on this instance are implemented on an "as need" or complaint basis as their content appears in this instance's timelines rather than preemptively based on others' lists. That said reports WILL be taken seriously and required actions will be taken swiftly
Currently the domain block list is as follows:
- newjack.city (suspended): all local accounts are follow bots--appears to be an effort to establish a spam and / or surveillance tool
- gab.com (suspended): far too many users there violate the CoC of this instance to make our favoured policy of user-based moderation of gab.com feasible for us. We didn't leave Twitter only to end up dealing with "Twitter Concentrate" in our timelines. Further to that this mastodon derivative's altered federation implementation seems to be partially broken which in and of itself is annoying.